Thursday, December 21, 2017

Christmas Card

One man who really know how to write the blues is Tom Waits. Here is, I hope, a song I don't spend a lot of time listening to, Christmas Card from a Hooker in Minneapolis.





hey Charley I'm pregnant
and living on 9th street
right above a dirty bookstore
off Euclid avenue
and I stopped taking dope
and I quit drinking whiskey
and my old man plays the trombone
and works out at the track.

and he says that he loves me
even though its not his baby
and he says that he'll raise him up
like he would his own son
and he gave me a ring
that was worn by his mother
and he takes me out dancin
every saturday nite.

and hey Charley I think about you
everytime I pass a fillin' station
on account of all the grease
you used to wear in your hair
and I still have that record
of little anthony & the imperials
but someone stole my record player
how do you like that?

hey Charley I almost went crazy
after mario got busted
so I went back to omaha to
live with my folks
but everyone I used to know
was either dead or in prison
so I came back in minneapolis
this time I think I'm gonna stay.

hey Charley I think I'm happy
for the first time since my accident
and I wish I had all the money
that we used to spend on dope
I'd buy me a used car lot
and I wouldn't sell any of em
I'd just drive a different car
every day dependin' on how
I feel.

hey Charley
for chrissakes
do you want to know
the truth of it?
I don't have a husband
he don't play the trombone
and I need to borrow money
to pay this lawyer
and Charley, hey
I'll be eligible for parole
come valentines day.

Merry Christmas to all of you from me, Tom, and a nameless hooker.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

Oh wow... :-)

Glen Filthie said...

Hey Jack, Tom obviously had no respect for this lady - can you maybe introduce me to her when I get out of jail in June...?

:)

Bob G. said...

Mad Jack:
That is pretty "heavy-duty" on a couple levels.
Thanks for sharing.

Have yourself a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and prosperous New Year.

Roll safe out there.

Mad Jack said...

I'll be happy to introduce the young lady to anyone who wants to meet her - long distance, if you don't mind.

Yeah, it's a heavy song. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!