Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Restaurant Review: China 1

China 1
5834 Monroe Street
Sylvania, OH 43560-2266
(419) 882-2700

Every once in a while I strike out.  I was hungry and decided to get some Chinese food to go, and China 1 was close, and open, and convenient, and boy did I get hosed.

For openers, I should have paid attention to the cleanliness and general look and feel of the place when I walked in.  I remember that it looked vaguely dirty and I couldn't tell if the buffet was open or not.  A half dozen Chinese kids were raising merry hell in a corner while two adults effortlessly ignored the bedlam.  This is supposed to be strike one and strike two.  All I can say is that I was tired, it was late and the rain was promising to come down in buckets.

I ordered chicken with garlic sauce, to go.  When I got home and unpacked my, ah, mystery meal, I cleared my vision and stared at it for a minute or two.  It didn't look right.  I tasted it.  Twice.  This stuff is so bad I couldn't believe it.  The chicken was cooked correctly, or was undercooked, or something.  Maybe it wasn't even chicken.

I then scraped my plate into the garbage, repacked the food and returned to China 1.  I returned the Styrofoam box to the Chinese lady at the register, explaining that it was no good and I didn't want it.  I didn't wait for a refund. 

My evaluation of China 1, in summary:
  • Ambiance: -3
  • Service: 0
  • Food: -5
Overall rating: -3.

I won't be back, and if the health department closes the place down the quality of life in Sylvania will improve a little.

2 comments:

Stephanie Lorée said...

I could have warned you. The first (and last) time I went there, my dining-mates and I all got sick. I don't know how they're still in business.

Mad Jack said...

Now you tell me...

I blame myself for this one. All the warning signs were there but I had to go and touch the electric fence anyway.

I don't know how they stay in business either. Their food makes McDonald's a true gourmet experience.