Monday, December 30, 2019

Christmas 2019

I did the obligatory Christmas dinner, which was excellent.  My contribution was a plate of deviled eggs.

Deviled Eggs
The only thing left to do in 2019 was to go out shooting and finish out the day with a cocktail and a board game, which we did yesterday.  Big Mike, California Dave, and I all went to the range.



I started out with my Ruger  MK II .22 pistol.  At about 25 feet I didn't do too badly, but it's nothing I'd write home about.


Ruger .22
I have a small Smith and Wesson .38 revolver that I keep in my nightstand or my pocket as the occasion demands.  Since I don't shoot it very often, I thought I'd bring it along and see how I do with it.  The grip is small enough to give Big Mike a challenge - no matter which way he holds it, his chow hooks get in the way.  I think he settles for a three finger grip.

The revolver holds five shots, I guess the theory being that if you can't do it in five, six isn't going to help.  The sights on it are standard size and adjustable, which is a bit unusual for a revolver this size.  Still, we all managed to hit stuff with it.

Smith and Wesson .38

Smith and Wesson .38 at Halitosis Range
Five shots at halitosis range, and another five at across the living room range.  Anything beyond that and I'll have to switch guns.  The target you see above was shot one handed, the first shot being single action and the other four being shot double action.  I'm not complaining.

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 59  in 9mm, which I bought specifically as a carry pistol.  The magazine holds 14, and it's a double action auto-loader with a thumb safety and hammer release.  When I first bought it, I spent a good deal of time practicing with it empty before I took it to the range, as I'd never handled a double action auto.

The model 59 has a four inch barrel and it isn't an easy pistol to shoot.  The 9mm cartridge has a nasty snap to it, and the chamber sits a little high on the grip.  All that said, I think I'm close enough for government work.

Model 59

Model 59 at Halitosis Range and at Parking Lot Range
The target above represents the bad guy at halitosis range, and again at parking lot range - which is just outside living room range.

But suppose the bad guy hasn't given up yet, and is running down the street or something?  I cranked the target all the way back to extreme range, which is 75 feet away from my mother's favorite son.  At this range, I can barely see the target, but no matter.  I put five shots down range; here are the results.

Md 59 at 75 Feet, Five Shots
I managed to get all five on the paper, so I guess that counts for something.  Anyway, if he holds still, there's certain sure to be a tolerable sick bad guy at the end of the alley.

We shot for an hour, then went back to Big Mike's house for a little of his famous hospitality and a board game.  Mike bought this one some time ago, and it's enjoyable.

The Doom That Came to Atlantic City
If the layout looks familiar, it's because you've played Monopoly in the past.  Unlike Monopoly, this game moves right along.  With three of us never having played before, total time was about two hours.  Naturally, California Dave won, but he has an MBA.  I maintain he should have been given a handicap - I'm thinking an extra manhattan would do it.

All in all, an enjoyable day.  Me, I'm beat.  I'm going to take it easy for a while.

2 comments:

CWMartin said...

"An extra manhattan"... something to think about the next time I try to talk someone into trivial pursuit. Maybe, "If no one else knows the answer, you drink"?

Mad Jack said...

Thanks, CW.

I refuse Trivial Pursuit on the grounds that if I wanted misery, there are simpler, easier methods available to me. For instance, calling Migraine One and telling her that Trump is going to win the 2020 election in a landslide. Why? Because the Lord loves Trump. :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours.