Saturday, January 25, 2020

Legal Weed

I often read Knuckledraggin My Life Away. The man is unbelievable for some of the stunts he's pulled and lived to tell about.  I'd say he's a damned liar, but his stories have the ring of truth to them - it's not he always walks away unscathed. Anyway, here's one of his latest reads:

But legalizing weed will make the crime rate drop!, which is concerned with legalizing pot and the unintended consequences.



Grow your own pot - right. On the surface it sounds like a wonderful idea, but then you either get to thinking about it, or you actually try it in your own backyard, and you'll find out it's a whole lot easier to buy an ounce than it is to grow it.  Quality, for one thing.  For another, as many point out, your neighbors will hassle you and try to steal your crop.  Just one or two plants - that's all!  So you have to implement security.

The only problem with buying pot (legal pot, that is) is the taxes.  Country Joe down the street can, and is willing to, sell me an ounce of quality weed a whole lot cheaper than I can buy it from the pot store, and the quality is just as good.  So... cash only, just like in the pot store.

I actually thought about growing my own, but as much as I smoke (none - right now, anyway) it just isn't worth the expenditure and the effort.  For one thing, I don't know what I'm doing, I have no backyard, and I just don't feel like learning anything new that I'm going to screw up several times before I get it right.

The same is true of whiskey.  Yes, I could distill my own.  Yes, it's a lot of work - sort of.  But the thing is, you don't get eighty proof aged bourbon out of your mad scientist layout; you get 150 proof rocket fuel.  I actually know a guy who did this, and he and his friends got 190 proof forty rod which the geniuses then mixed with Kool-Aid before imbibing any of it.  According to my friend, whose name will remain a mystery, you couldn't really drink any of it straight out of the bottle.  They tried.

Anyway, having laws against growing your own wacky to-baccy in Ohio and a neighbor who couldn't keep his yap shut about it is how my own blog got started.  Check it out if you like: 

Who knew that this would be the start of something?

I can hardly believe it's been ten years, but it has.

4 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

Happy anniversary.

Glen Filthie said...

I won't shoot 9mm, I won't drink port or brandy, and I sure as hell won't smoke weed. All that stuff is for degenerates, and as I'm sure you will agree - I am a gentleman made of better stuff.

Whiskies are all cut with water. And unlike pot - it is a product of pure sorcery. The cellar master is the magician; he goes into the warehouse and samples the spirit while it is still basically lighter fluid - not even creeps like Pete or Quartermain would drink it at that point. But the cellar master will - and will decide "This cask will be our standard 10/15/18 year old, this one is special and will go 25... and this one is REALLY special and will be our 40 year old..."

Unlike pot, the process is pure magic. The morons up here can and do grow their own, right in the house. They have the IQ's of turnips... so if it's your bag, go for it.

Old NFO said...

Yeah, right... Take a look at Colorado...

Mad Jack said...

Ed: Thanks!

Glen: Evidently the biology majors in Colorado are getting it down to a science. I'm not sure where they get their test subjects.

Old NFO: I have some relatives out that way, and they tell me that more kids are smoking it than before, and that no one is sure where the tax money is going. Down the drain, I'm betting.