Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Electronics Repair and Good Fortune (Five Stars out of Five)

If you got a good woman
Better pin her to your side
Now if you got a good woman
You better pin her to your side, yeah
'Cause if she flag my train Buddy
I'm bound to let her ride

 - Matchbox Blues by Blind Lemon Jefferson; played by Albert King

If you were standing next to me, you'd know I was listening to music from my iPod - which is nothing short of a minor miracle.

On October 2nd, 2004, my brother bought me a (then) top of the line iPod - an iPod Photo, which featured a 60 Gig drive.  I promptly loaded my entire collection of CDs on it and had space left over, which I've been slowly filling ever since.

My iPod Photo - The Impossible Repair

The trouble is that the battery has been slowly but steadily going south ever since.  Three years ago I took it to the local (Rotten) Apple store and asked about getting a new battery.

Sorry, no.  Okay, not all that sorry, but still no.  Apple manufactured these devices so they couldn't be fixed.  So no, but we can sell you new one which should work.

No thanks.

I tried other places with no luck.  No one wanted to touch it.  Apple, you see, didn't want it repaired.  One month ago it stopped working.  I kept looking for a repair place that would fix it.

On Monday, December 28th, 2020, I discovered Kurt Decker at Decker Electronics.  I took my iPod over to him, and he gave it a cursory look, then told me it would probably take about a week.  True to his word, I picked up my REPAIRED and fully functional iPod on Sunday, January 8, 2021.

Nothing succeeds like success.

Kurt Decker is a hands-on sort, and will work on just about anything.  If you're in or around Columbus, and need a TV, phone, or whatever repaired, this is the man to call.

Decker Electronics



4 comments:

Glen Filthie said...

Everything is designed to be thrown away now...

Old NFO said...

That's a great find! And Glen is correct... dammit...

Mad Jack said...

Glen: Quite right. Apple wants you to throw the device out and buy a new one - but Apple doesn't make the iPod anymore. They do, however, make a phone that I could buy. Dicks.

Old NFO: Just of him in terms of a busted alarm clock. And yeah, Kurt is a rare bird.

CWMartin said...

Always great to find a way around planned obsolescence.