Thursday, December 23, 2021

Success!

I won't post it, mainly out of an inability to take selfies, but while making my morning coffee I was doing my happy dance.

Mad Jack: 1

Mouse: room temperature (by now)


Bell Labs Tomcat Glue Trap

Setting the Glue Trap

Although I didn't take a photo of it, on the advice of a fellow trapper I baited the glue trap with a glob of peanut butter in the middle of it.  The following morning I found a mouse in the glue.  A live mouse.

Letting any critter expire slowly from dehydration is a bit much for me.  People, sure.  Critters?  No.  So the mouse succumbed to spontaneous cranial compression.  Messy but effective.  The material cost of extermination was about $1 (one dollar), not counting the labor.  It was a good value.

Since I've got the slightly used Victor traps, I'm going to carefully disarm them while I'm sober enough to do so without risking fingers and pride, then save them for the next invasion.  The glue trap on the floor is going to remain in place for a week or so, baited with peanut butter.  The theory here is that where there's one there will be others.

Meantime, here's to success!


5 comments:

CWMartin said...

Good job! But, what was the cost of "cranial compression?"

Anonymous said...

Drowning is neater and quicker.

Mad Jack said...

CW: Practically zero. A sharp rap with a suitable bludgeon and we're done.

Anon: Eh, maybe.

Gerry said...

Are you going to get it mounted? Maybe on it's back legs, snarling!

Mad Jack said...

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good idea. This particular rodent is not what anyone would judge trophy size (or quality), but who knows what the future holds?