Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Home Defense

 This evening, as I was about to enjoy my first martini, I noticed a very odd sight outside my back patio fence.

My condo is separated from the main road (two lane suburban blacktop) by a six foot tall berm, landscaped with pine trees.  Here are two views:

View From the Patio

View From the Street


Note that there's a barely noticeable path that leads back into the condo neighborhood.  So, like I say, I'm talking on the phone when I happened to look out my patio window, and I see a black teenager dressed in a purple hoodie making his way up the berm.  He stopped about two steps past the crest of the berm, and he sees me seeing him.  I didn't recognize him.

I slid my hand into my pocket, put the phone down, and went over to open the door with the intention of finding out just who the fuck this is and what he's doing.  He left at a brisk walk.

My thought is that I need a motion detector attached to a flood and maybe an alarm.  If anyone gains access to my patio, they're trespassing and likely pose a threat.  Of course, criminals are always looking for an easy mark, which I kind of hope I'm not.

The other question that I asked myself had to do with racial prejudice and the teenager being black.  What if he'd been white?  Then I wondered just what the everlasting fuck was wrong with me.  I don't care what color he was, he had no business scaling the berm - it's off limits to non-residents.

So, motion detectors and some kind of useful alarm system.  Any suggestions?





7 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

Motion-activated video surveillance comes to mind, as well.

LindaG said...

Is it just me, or does the second photo show an arrow unintentionally pointing to your barely noticeable path?

But yes. Some sort of surveillance and alarm system at a proper location to allow for early warning.

Mike-SMO said...

Don't know your area. Often a "posting" of " No Trespassing", or "Private Property" is required. Maybe some "wire":that is inconvenient to cross but that would not interfere with grounds or gardening work.

Remember the "back-side". The route may be a short cut. If the path trough your estate is too much trouble, they might go elsewhere. M

EGGBONE said...

German Shepherd

Ed Bonderenka said...

Motion and lights should be sufficient.
I got an Arlo camera for my front door to announce visitors on my cell. Sketchy results.

Glen Filthie said...

If you can, get alarms installed, or at least put up a sign warning potential criminals that an alarm is at work on the premises. Cudgels are opportunists and will not bother with overly difficult targets. The jogger was probably casing the place out.

Glypto Dropem said...

Anyone I don't know that enters my AO is immediately designated a threat (and potential target) until proven otherwise. NEVER question yourself or let white guilt imposed on you by others change how you operate. That kind of hesitation can get you killed. Here was someone you didn't know someplace they didn't belong. Statistically blacks cause more crime, so you were right to have this person on your radar. The fact that he beat feet when he knew he was seen should tell you all you need to know.