Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Range Time!

 Last time we went to the range my AR-15 performed nicely.  I didn't suffer any misfeeds and I managed to put my shots on the paper.  I didn't get my fingers caught in the action, either.  California Dave was with us, firing his Rock River AR-15 for the first time, and had similar luck.  No misfeeds, no broken fingers.  Big Mike, however, was not as fortunate.

Trigger Warning: All anti-freedom commies, liberals, SJWs, snowflakes, and other pre-verts can go read something else about someone else.  My blog, my deliberate trigger events.

And, while I'm at it, may I remind you that around here men are men.  We treat ladies with courtesy and respect.

Mike bought an Eotech sight for his Rock River AR-15 rifle, and had good results right away.  He packed the whole business up in his gun safe where it sat unused for a long time.  Long enough for the batteries in the Eotech to leak and corrode the battery box.  Mike cursed himself roundly, removed the batteries, cleaned the area, and put in a fresh set.  The sight worked fine, so Mike put it back on the rifle and brought it to the range with the idea of sighting it in, then moving his target out to 100 yards and obliterating the bull's eye.  But - damnation!  The Eotech wouldn't work.

So it was back to the work bench.  Take the Eotech apart, clean and buff the connections very thoroughly, then put it all back together, and - voilà!, as the froggies might say, the whole thing worked.  Me, I'm staying with my iron sights.

My thought process may seem a bit old-fashioned to some, but here it is.  The manufacturer informs me that my rifle has an accuracy of 1 MOA at 100 yards, which is a whole lot more accurate than I'll ever be able to shoot.  I can't even see anything at 100 yards, let alone hit it.  Now, should I want to shoot accurately at 100 yards or more, I'll need a telescopic sight, and it better be a nice one.  That's all well and good, right up until the time the rifle gets bumped around in the trunk and the 'scope is knocked out of alignment.  Then I'll have to realign the 'scope, which is not as quick-fun-and-easy as you'd think.  Then I can get back to shooting.  The same thing is true with an electronic sight.  The batteries die, or short out, or something, and until you get it fixed you've got an opportunity to see if you can still hit anything with iron sights - which is where I'll be spending all my practice time.

Some guys can afford the equipment and acquire the knowledge to knock down targets at 1000 yards or more, and I have a certain admiration for that.  Here in Ohio, the furthest I'll ever be likely to shoot at anything is 100 yards, and it's much more likely to be at 50 or less.  So - iron sights.  In this case it's the old ring and post. 

My Rock River AR-15


My First Target

If you squint and use your imagination, you'll note that the group (such as it is) is off to the left a bit.  I tried adjusting the rear sight and discovered that cursed adjustment knob is too stiff for my arthritis inflicted hands.  I called on Big Mike to do it, and without appreciable effort moved it one click to the right.  Check the next target.  
My Second Target

You'll note that I'm circling the center.  All these are taken at 50 yards from a seated position with my elbows resting on the table.  I tried some off hand standing shots and got one shot dead center in the bull's eye.  That's what I call a good day.

Next time I practice I think I'll shoot at 25 yards, off hand and standing.  We'll see what happens.


9 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I would love to be able to shoot like that but sadly I can't because well I don't own a gun of any description and of course now days I shake sometimes a bloody lot.

Glen Filthie said...

Oh fer gosh sakes. “Bump your scope out of alignment”? Don’t make me come down there to disciple ya, Jack!!!

If you look at the Deltas, Rangers, SEALs… those guys jump out of helicopters and roll and tumble and their optics do just fine. In fact, for old geezers with bad eyes, the optic is probably a better way to go than the Eotech. If you bag up properly you’ll cut those groups in half at 100 yards. Get a good sling and learn how to use it. There’s an excellent vid from the 40’s on YouTube that will get you going.

Gerry said...

I think that if you get a good mount, the scope bumping issue goes away.
I have a Millet 1X6 optic that works well and has held up well.
Disclaimer: It on a LaRue mount that cost more than the optic.

Mad Jack said...

Jo-Anne: Well, if you ever make it out this way we'll set aside a special range day for you. Morning at the range, drinks and lunch after.

Glen Filthie: True enough, I need a sling. I have no idea about a good quality sling or the correct way to use it. But, since you know everything, maybe you'll provide a few links that will educate a putz like me - about slings and things.

In the meantime, I'm going to tell the Bayou Renaissance Man all about you and your crap copter and sticks of dynamite. Let's see how you like them apples, mister out of alignment!

Gerry: Thanks. I'll look into it and see how badly I can damage this month's budget.

CWMartin said...

I would comment, but since hitting a trash can with a banana peel from four feet is a challenge...

Glen Filthie said...

Stubfart Emeritus - HR Funk - has the goods on proper use of the military rifle sling! Get off the bench, and practice your shooting pisitions: offhand, sitting and prone. The sling won’t do much for you offhand, but it will turn you into a sniper from the sitting and prone positions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZTLY3062Qo

This one is for the M1 Garand - but much of it is applicable to the AR15 as well. It’s also an interesting historical resource as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZ_usoFVSc

Get a Leupold VXIII 1.5 - 5 variable power scope, and leave it at the lowest setting. You can crank it up higher and put shots on target out to 300 yards with practice. HR Funk is making hits at 600 at Camp Perry. Do that and - congrats! You’re a true rifleman!

As for Peter Grant - expect to see him on his front porch, cursing out at the darkness of night and stomping on a flaming bag on his porch step soon. HAR HAR HAR! 😊👍




Hooda Thunkett said...

Looks like an ODNR range. Deer creek?

Hooda Thunkett said...

Oh, yeah; you probly already know, but ALWAYS save your brass, even if you don't reload. I walked into CycleMet with 10 coffee cans of used brass (over off McKinley & Hague), and walked out with over $100...

Mad Jack said...

CW: You can use a rest.

Hooda: Delaware Wildlife Area Public Shooting Range. I don't reload, but after this I'll be saving my brass - I can use an extra c-note. Thanks!