Thursday, November 29, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018: Day 2

I spent the night at a Motel 6 in Mad City.  In the morning I got breakfast at Perkins Pancake House; waffle, scrambled eggs, sausage.  Absolutely delicious!  The people in Mad City are very nice, which is how I remember it.  Out of all the people I ever met in Mad City, I only found two, maybe three, whose absence would make the world a better place.  I'm very tempted to name them, but decorum and temporary sobriety cause me to decline.  One example of humanitarianism in Mad City I observed on my way out was the manager of Perkins Pancake House calling the police about a blonde woman who has been sleeping in her car in the parking lot.  The objection?  The blonde keeps
throwing her trash into the parking lot rather than the waste can.  The manager didn't care about her sleeping out there, just don't strew your garbage all over.  The blonde had been told, but never listens.

I hit the road and drive through Wisconsin.  What I'd really like to know is how the place ever got settled in the bad old days.  The terrain is beautiful, but the winters are harsh and the settlers had to clear land, build a cabin and a barn, plant stuff, get enough food to eat in the meantime, and chop enough firewood to survive the winter.  I wonder how many froze to death, or broke a leg or an arm and died, or died in childbirth, or whatever.  Clearly, a few survived.

I arrived at Shotgun Bob's around 1:30 PM, local time.  There are five dogs and two cats.  I plan to compile an inventory and post it.

1 comment:

glasslass said...

Women do read your blog and I take the fifth.