Saturday, April 11, 2020

Merry Christmas!

Or something.

Last Christmas my dear brother from the great Republik of Kalifornia sent me a gift card.  I used part of it a few days back, and here are the results.



While I was discussing my selection of carry pistol and holster with Big Mike, he made a comment which inspired me to... well, Mike said, "I'll bet you're not carrying a knife, either."

I wasn't, and not because I don't own a few.  It's because many of my edged weapons were purchased at flea markets in Florida, and all of them violate Ohio law.  A stupid law, but if you're going to pack heat, step one is not violating any other Ohio laws.

Anyway, look what came in the Well's Fargo Wagon two days ago.

What Could Be Inside?

Well, Whattaya Know...

Not Much.  You?
If this were a video, it would be an unboxing video.  Since I'm not that crass, you ladies and gents get a series of still life with drunkard photos.

Carry Knives, Side A

Carry Knives, Side B
The top knife is a Thundercats Spring Assisted Sharp Blade Knife, 8” Pocket Knife, Stainless Steel Tactical Knife with Pocket Clip, Best for Camping Hunting Survival Indoor and Outdoor Activities by Super Knife.

If you can't trust a name like Super Knife, who can you trust?  The company says the knife weighs in at 4 ounces, which I don't believe.  The thing is heavy.  I'm going to weigh it and post the results.

The other knife is a Spring Assisted Knife - Pocket Folding Knife - Military Style - Boy Scouts Knife - Tactical Knife - Good for Camping Hunting Survival Indoor and Outdoor Activities Mens Gift by Grand Way.

Grand Way - another fine name in consumer products. Who knew they manufactured and sold knives?

The Grand Way weighs in at 4.8 ounces and has a nifty safety switch on it, which keeps it from opening up in your pocket. A nice touch, and one I didn't know about until I started screwing around with it.  It's easy to set the safety off.

Safety Catch Just Above the Tip of My Thumb

Safety Off - Right Next to My Thumb
So now I'm packing my gat in my right front pocket, and a shiv just above it.  I'm so damned dangerous I can hardly stand myself.

My sincere thanks to California Dave for his generosity.

3 comments:

CWMartin said...

All you need now is a "caution radioactive" sign on your back!

Glen Filthie said...

Hmmmmmmmm. I see you went with the Tanto style blade on one of them... any thoughts on that yet Jack?

The hell of it these days is that good steel is relatively cheap. The blade snobs I know will all snort in disgust at materials like 440C... but that is actually a fine blade material if properly executed. A lot of the cheap knives are 440...

Do yourself a favour, and invest in some good wet stones.

Mad Jack said...

CW: Ha! I'll get one, complete with that propeller icon.

Glen: I own a Gerber boot knife which I've had for some years, and a sword cane by Cold Steel, which my brother Big Mike got for me for Christmas. You can actually amputate limbs with the blade.

So, I point and laugh at knife snobs.

Knives made out of 440 are fine, but a sword may shatter - hence no 440 stainless swords for me. I don't have any preference on the blade point; Lord help me if I ever have to defend myself with a knife. I gather both styles have their advantages, but this is a bit like arguing about the best caliber for a self-defense pistol. My Uncle Bud served with the OSS during War II, and carried a .25 automatic - in his hat. He worked with the French resistance, and admitted to being captured several times. He never spent any time in a POW camp.

So, if you think a .25 is inadequate, just stand downrange at what you consider a safe distance, and I'll shoot you. Just to see what happens, you know.

This brings the argument to a halt, as no one wants to get shot.

The same thing is true with a knife. No one wants to get cut up or stabbed, and since my ultimate goal is to force the enemy to advance to the rear, whatever knife I'm using will have to be good enough.

Plus, I didn't spend a fortune on these two. Some of those folders cost over $100, so if you lose one, or Heaven forbid, get into a skirmish with one, the cops will confiscate it and you'll walk a long road trying to get your property returned.

And so, that's that.