Saturday, April 4, 2020

New Gun

Guess who got a new gun?


Those truly remarkable, intelligent, and erudite individuals who read this hound on a regular basis may remember a recent post about a kid with a gun.  For those of you who didn't read it or can't remember it, here's a link to the missive When Some Kid Pulls a Gun.  I started my search for a small concealed carry pistol the next day, although I was pretty sure what I was going to buy.

My choice is the Ruger LCP II.  My brother Big Mike has the LCP (original version) and I've shot it.  I actually wrote an evaluation of the pistol with input from Big Mike, which you can read as it amuses you to do so - Range Report: Ruger LCP.  The evaluation got a surprising number of hits - who gives a shit what I think, anyway?  A surprising number of people, that's who.  All I can say is that not everyone knows me.

I bought the LCP at a local gun store, Black Wing.  I've shot at Black Wing before, and they've got an excellent indoor range - which is currently closed due to the COVID-19 virus.  They made me a nice price on the pistol and a box of .380 ammo, and offered curb side service.  You sit in your car, and a salesman comes out to take your order.  By my unscientific reckoning, there were five cars in the lot when I arrived, and three turned over by the time I left.  Judging by the boxes, everyone was buying a firearm of some kind.

I bought a Sticky Holster via Amazon, but I may change it out for a different model.  I'm teaching myself to carry my pistol in my right front pocket, and a Sticky Holster is just the thing.

Sticky Holster

Ruger LCP II in .380
I haven't shot the little beast yet, but my intention is to fix that situation once the virus warning gets lifted and we can all return to whatever it is that passes for sanity.

.380, 6 + 1
An astute observer will note that my magazine is loaded with non-standard ammunition.  My thanks to Big Mike for providing me with six cartridges that pack a little more snort than the standard ammo.

The differences between the LCP and the LCP II are the trigger safety, the sights, and the operation; the slide locks open after the last shot is fired.  That last feature is enough to convince me to get the more recent model.

You can also get a pistol with an integrated laser sight, but I took a pass on that.  It's electronics, and I'd always be worried about the sight failing at a crucial moment.

I'm packing my gat in my right front pocket, which is usually where my billfold goes.  So, it seems I'll have to be a bit careful in the near future until I develop a new habit - billfold in the left breech, Ruger in the right.

Time for happy hour.

8 comments:

Ed Bonderenka said...

LCP II and the Sticky Holster are a great choice.
Try this bullet.
Makes the .380 a real threat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErofxN3F52s

Old NFO said...

Nice little pistol and yeah, you're gonna be retraining yourself!

Glen Filthie said...

What is practice ammo like for that little beast, Jack? Is it affordable? I'd do my practice stuff with the cheapy range loads and stoke that stinker for all its worth with carry ammo...

Mad Jack said...

Ed: I generally don't watch videos; I prefer to read. This guy is different, and he's really worth watching. He gets to the point and I like his no-fluff, no sugar coated delivery. Thanks!

Old NFO: I have to make a conscious effort to carry the little gem everywhere, and force myself to automatically drop my left hand when paying my tab. It'll take a while.

Glen: The cost of ammo varies. On Gun Broker I found:

Federal 380ACP 95gr FMJ - Ultra Target and Range - 1000rd Case - $400 USD plus shipping! Which translates into $.40 cents a shot. Going over to Cheaper Than Dirt and navigating their less than user friendly web site, I found:

Silver Bear .380 ACP Ammunition 94 Grain Full Metal Jacket - 50 to the box - $14.89 plus shipping! Which is $0.2978 per shot. Sounds good, but then you realize that there's probably a reason for that, and begin to wonder how you feel about split casings.

Although I need to practice with it, it's not like the little beast is a fun gun to shoot.

All ranges are close right now anyway, and won't open until this Wuhan Flu is under control.

Ed Bonderenka said...

Jack, if you don't want a laser on it (I won't go without one now) try getting a bore sight laser like this:
https://www.amazon.com/G-Sight-380-Training-Laser-Cartridge/dp/B071YRZ7SD/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3HEBA5NYSQ9TB&dchild=1&keywords=380+acp+boresight+laser&qid=1586208132&sprefix=boresight+laser+.380%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-5

You can practice dry fire and see if you flinch when you pull the trigger.

Mad Jack said...

Ed: I played with something like that at a gun show some years back. Thanks, I'll try it.

Unknown said...

I understand you have moved and have been away from Toledo, but I must say, it would be very useful to have jr's Toledotalk site alive.

Mad Jack said...

Unknown: Yes, it would. I miss it as well, especially in times like these.