Monday, February 20, 2012

Weekend Update

The plan last weekend included Big Mike arriving in Toledo on Friday night.  We'd go shooting on Saturday, followed by a civilized lunch around 3:30 or 4:00.  Sadly -
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley
.

Big Mike's car broke down and he had to leave it in the shop.  I got the bad news Friday night, then Mike called me back on Saturday afternoon around 3:00 - just before my afternoon snort.

Given that Monday was Washington's birthday and Mike had the day off, he suggested I drive down to Columbus.  We could have dinner out and go shooting on Sunday, then I'd drive back on Monday.  Attractive as the offer was, I was forced to decline.  I had previous commitments for Sunday and I couldn't very well call Main Lady and tell her Sunday was off because I was half in the bag down in Columbus.  I'm too old for that kind of irresponsible sort of behavior, and calling things off at the last minute gives Main Lady a major malfunction.  This is a condition we older men have learned to avoid; while we're younger we're supposed to be ignorant but still learning... anyway, them as don't learn are most often divorced.  I hung up the phone regretfully and finished my lunch.

Then I called Mike back.  I'm becoming far and away too civilized and predictable lately.  I threw my pistol and a few other necessities into a bag, promised Danté I'd be back later and pointed my nose towards the Mason-Dixon line.  This was just the sort of thing I needed to get myself back on track again.
Barley's Ale House Number Two


I arrived at Big Mike's around 6:30, and an hour later we were at Barley's Ale House No. 2.  This isn't the first time I've eaten at Barley's, and the brisket is worth every single mile I drove getting there.  Saturday night being brisket night, my only fear (and it's a real fear, let me tell you) is that the place would run out of brisket before I could surround some.  As it turned out, my fears were not realized.

Brisket Dinner
When I reviewed Barley's and the Robert Burns Dinner held there, Len (the owner of Barley's) was kind enough to link to my review from his facebook page, which I thought was quite nice of him.  Len also invited me to look him up if I ever got back to Barley's again.  So that's what I did, but sadly Len wasn't there last night.  Hey, next time, right?

Now for the bad news: I'm allergic to hops.  I'm allergic to all manner of common flora, but up until very recently I've never noticed a food allergy.  But then, up until recently I wasn't drinking beer or ale that had a lot of hops in it.  A couple months ago that changed, and one memorable night I got deathly ill from over indulging in ale that was very heavy with hops.  Since that time I'm so overly sensitive that Natural Light makes me nauseous (yeah, I know, but it's not like you're thinking) and I get so congested and snotty that even the dog thinks there's something wrong with me.  You have any idea just how disgusting you have to be before your own dog refuses to associate with you on the grounds of personal hygiene?

So it seems there's only one thing to do.  No, I'm not going to eat my gun.  Don't be an idiot.  I'm switching to whiskey and wine, exclusively.  Until I can find a cure for my affliction, I'm going on the patent pending Diamond Dave whiskey diet.  Old Dave lost 20 pounds in three or four weeks by drinking whiskey instead of beer, and he told me at the time that I should try it.

Woodford Reserve
Fortunately for me Barley's has a very nice selection of top shelf whiskey and scotch, and the wait staff know what straight up means.  No, it isn't what Big Mike had, but Woodford is good whiskey and as you can see the portion is generous.

Our dinner was excellent, although in all truth and honesty the brisket was just beginning to get dry by the time we had it.  Still, it was far and away better than anything that you can get in the city of Columbus.  Desert was very good as well - I had the bread pudding and enjoyed it.

We headed back to Big Mike's house where we enjoyed watching an old horror film, Lord of Illusions (1995), which I had never seen before.  I don't know just how I missed this one, but it's a great film.  I also enjoyed Big Mike's generous hospitality.

The Hospitality of the House
Scotch, some of which is taken straight up, other taken with a sliver of ice or a little water.  The brands are:

Front (diagonal) row, left to right:
  • Lagavulin 16 years old
  • Glenmorangie "The Quinta Ruban" 12 years old
  • Glenfiddich 12 years old
Center row left to right:
  • Glenlivet "Nadurra" 16 years old natural cask strength
  • Oban 14 years old
Far Corner:
  • Laphroig 10 years old
The point, of course, is to have a taste of three or four and try to decide which one you prefer.  Often a second or third tasting is necessary, even for professionals.

And, by the way, should any of you be wondering, you may rest assured that I got up Sunday morning, had breakfast out and drove back to Sylvania in time to fulfill my obligations on Sunday without being late for anything.  Some of us do learn, eventually.



Here's how!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Thank you for asking. I now am one of a small (but happy) group of people who after being treated for cancer in an advanced stage is now listed as 100% cancer cell free according to my Pet Scan. It was a good day. Now we just gotta keep it that way.
Me marido is still firmly in the middle of Mexico. One more week to go and then he can come home and take care of his husbandly duties and wash my car!

Mad Jack said...

That is good news indeed. Congratulations!

Wash the car? Odd. We used to call it 'doing the laundry'.