Thursday, September 7, 2023

FREE BEER!

Awright, cut out the noise, sit up and stop mumbling.  That includes you, Glen Filthie - get your mind outta the gutter and pay attention.

Number One: Find all the anti-freedom fascist commie bastards and give 'em the bum's rush.  Out the back, Glen!  The back!  That includes everyone that ain't regular, and by that I mean regular.

The back door!  Ah... the boy's a slow learner, but he makes up for it with enthusiasm.  The rest of you folks make yourselves comfortable, because I have an announcement to make.

So there I was, minding my own business and considering the wisdom of imbibing in a late mid-afternoon cocktail, maybe a nice Manhattan, when some email from a prospective reader pops up.   Okay, so it didn't pop up.  It's been laying around for a month or so, and I hadn't opened it because I thought it was some lonely hearts mail order bride scam.  You'd be surprised at how many of those I get on a weekly basis.  Women read about me and they can't resist this old, high-mileage frame coupled with the classic mannerisms and savoir-faire of the Eurotrash upper crust, and they just lose all control - ::smack:: - huh, a wet bar towel.  Now, who would throw such a thing at your noble host while himself was otherwise occupied, pontificating on the sweet mysteries of life?

As I was saying - drop it, Glen! - now, as I was saying, then the Asian lovelies find out I'm financially embarrassed, and that's the last I hear from them.

But this wasn't that.  This was some guy named Pavel who found my blog somehow, and I can't even begin to guess how, and to make a short story mercifully shorter he offered me free ammunition, any caliber I wanted, if I'd write an ammo review about it and publish it on Mad Jack's Shack.  Then he backed up his offer with a tall stack of dead presidents.  You know, scratch.  Cabbage.  Moolah.  Long Green.

RED HOT DAMN ON A SATURDAY NIGHT!!!

The site is Ammo Man, and I'm headed over to check the selection.  I'll probably get some .45 Auto, maybe some .38, and some .380.  My reasoning, and I'll have to check with Big Mike on this, is that between us we have three model 1911 handguns, one .45 carbine, and five or six .38 caliber revolvers - but the more I think about it... we both have a Ruger LCP.  Big Mike has an LCP, and I have an LCP II.  I might be interested to see what kind of ammo is best for which one, and which I like best in general.

We'll probably hit the range this weekend, so keep your eyes peeled for the review.

 

6 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Which is better free ammo or free beer, now I don't drink beer can't stand the smell or taste of it and I have no guns because this is Australia and well yeah, need I say more.

Gerry said...

I actually use Ammoman for my bulk purchases. Good pricing fast delivery.
I don't even get beer or $$$.

Good for you.

CWMartin said...

No beer... sigh...

Mad Jack said...

Jo-Anne: Free ammo is better. For one thing, I can't drink beer. I'm allergic to beer hops.

Gerry: Thanks! That's good to know.

CW: So, ammo then. What's wrong with that?

Glen Filthie said...

In your boat Jack… that’s great. I have a suggestion though: START RELOADING YOUR OWN AMMO. You can get a great single stage reloader for 200 bucks. Cheaper if you buy used. You can make your own ammo that is as good and reliable as the stuff you buy from the factory and though it looks intimidating - reloading is easy as pie. Your reloading equipment will pay itself off within 1000~2000 rounds. After that your ammo costs drop by at least 50% for most calibres and even more for oddball calibres. I stocked up on components 10 years ago and by casting my own boolits… I literally have ammo for the rest of my life. I can help out friends in a pinch too. You literally have nothing to lose. You’ll enjoy reloading too. Gang up on it with your buds, buy in bulk…and get ahead of the curve. It is not nearly as hard as it looks. It’s cheap entertainment.

Start stacking on beer and food too. Being an alcoholic…you should learn to brew your own beer too! Prepping is actually fun too. And - it’s great peace of mind if the SHTF.

Not to preach at ya…you do you. All I’ll say is - you won’t regret any of it. If you need any help…I think ya got my email.

Mad Jack said...

Glen: I have loaded my own ammo in the past. I was a serious shotgunner for a while, and would reload shot shells. I had a five stage loader for 12 gauge; if I started up again, I'd need three calibers - 12, 20 (Big Mike), and .410. I've always wanted to shoot .410 - low recoil, it doesn't tear up the game as much, and you really have to be able to shoot.

Sadly, I can't drink beer. I have an allergy to beer hops, and while I've drunk beer without hops, it just isn't the same. So - I can make wine, and there's this distillation system I can buy on Amazon (Big Mike strenuously objects to this, saying it's a bad idea.), and depending on how the vote goes in November, I may be able to grow, harvest, and smoke my own wacky tobaccy. But I don't smoke...

Big Mike reloads his own, and has a work bench all set up, so I might throw in with him. Supplies and labor, that kind of thing.

Thanks for stopping by!