Friday, February 11, 2011

Rant: Drunks and Dangerous Driving

I don't do well with drunks. They're sloppy, unpredictable and there is every chance in the world your dead drunk best buddy will inundate the console, the carpet and front seat of your car with partially digested beer and pretzels while you're driving him home from the bar at 3:00 AM. He was celebrating the restoration of his driving privileges after his last DUI, you see. He no longer has to ride his bicycle to work during all seasons and in all kinds of weather, and he thought he'd just stop for a cold one on the way home. Nice of you to pick him up and all. I could continue, but why bother? Most of us have been there, done that and for all I know have the tee shirt concession in their home town. Can't convince the bartender to give you back your car keys? No worry - just call Mad Jack's Taxi Service at four in the morning.

The other person I do not react well to is the dangerous driver. By dint of passing a written test that wouldn't challenge a retarded twelve year old along with a driving test that is specifically designed to allow the completely incompetent to pass with flying colors, these mental midgets are officially allowed to get behind the wheel of a 3000 pound pick up truck and menace everyone on the street. They follow too closely, hugging the bumper of the vehicle in front of them in the belief that the other drivers will actually speed up and get out of their way. They weave in and out of traffic, cutting people off and racing to the next light, where they are forced to wait along with the rest of the traffic. They pull out in front of other drivers. They cause accidents with their asinine behavior.

Where are all the traffic cops when you need one?

So today when a small maroon pick up truck cut me off in traffic, I took note of the advertising on the truck. The driver headed East on Monroe Street, weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating the people in front of him and driving like a maniac. I lost sight of him as he past Whiteford road. The driver is either drunk or stupid - or both, for all I know. I really don't care. Since I'm not a cop I couldn't pull him over and bust him for DUI. I can't really imagine a sober person driving the way he was, but I suppose it's possible. What I can do is write about his dangerous driving and refuse to patronize his company. Here it is:

Got Tint?
4534 Monroe St.
Toledo, OH 43613
(419) 215-7342

He's a menace and he ought to have his license suspended for a few years. I'll never spend a dime with them.

No comments: