Saturday, May 5, 2018

My Old Kentucky Home, Bourbon, and Derby

The Kentucky Derby for 2018 is officially history.  Justify (5-2) won it on the sloppiest track since Hector was a pup.  Race day had a record rainfall, dampening the crowd and making things a lot more interesting for the jockeys.

I like Derby Day.  I made myself a nice mint julep and a little snack, and enjoyed watching.  The only thing I don't like about the Kentucky Derby is the way the powers-that-be massacred the song, My Old Kentucky Home.



My Old Kentucky Home was written by Steven Foster, probably around 1860.  The word is that he was inspired by Uncle Tom's Cabin (Harriet Beecher Stowe).  The State of Kentucky adopted it for the official State song, and people would sing it while the horses were lining up for the Derby.  Usually there would be a choir to help the crowd, generally a band would be included, and everyone had a good time.

In 1985 a group of Japs came over on a visit and sang it for the Kentucky State legislators, which would have been just fine were it not for some silly-ass son-of-a-bitch who got offended.  Carl Hines (March 23, 1931 - September 7, 2016) was an elected weasel who was offended by the word darkies, and used his position to pass legislation changing the word to people.  About the same time, some other Aunt Jemima in office named Georgia Davis Powers (née Montgomery; October 19, 1923 – January 30, 2016) started up a movement to achieve the same outcome in all events in Kentucky.

Naturally the song was changed and both these tree weasels are dead and gone.  We have to live with their stupidity.

And so, in memory of better times, here are the lyrics to My Old Kentucky Home, as they were originally written by Steven Foster.

The sun shines bright in the old Kentucky home.
'Tis summer, the darkies are gay,
The corn top's ripe and the meadow's in the bloom
While the birds make music all the day.
The young folks roll on the little cabin floor,
All merry, all happy, and bright.
By 'n by hard times comes a-knocking at the door,
Then my old Kentucky home, good night.

Weep no more my lady, oh! weep no more today!
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home,
For the old Kentucky home far away.

They hunt no more for the 'possum and the coon,
On the meadow, the hill and the shore,
They sing no more by the glimmer of the moon,
On the bench by the old cabin door.
The day goes by like a shadow o'er the heart,
With sorrow where all was delight.
The time has come when the darkies have to part,
Then my old Kentucky home, good night!

Weep no more my lady, oh! weep no more today!
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home,
For the old Kentucky home far away.

The head must bow and the back will have to bend,
Wherever the darkies may go.
A few more days and the trouble all will end,
In the field where the sugar-canes grow.
A few more days for to tote the weary load,
No matter 'twill never be light.
A few more days till we totter on the road,
Then my old Kentucky home, good-night!

Weep no more my lady, oh! weep no more today!
We will sing one song for the old Kentucky home,
For the old Kentucky home far away.

Sadly, I don't have a Kentucky home, old or otherwise. 

4 comments:

CWMartin said...

Laurie picked the place horse (no betting), Scrappy's assigned horse came in 5th, my horse ran a great 3/4ths of a race and was 13th and dropping at the end. God never fails to remind me that I am not allowed to bet on stuff.

Bob G. said...

Mad Jack:
The only thing in the run for me was the bourbon.
Always interesting to see a "mudder" win the race.

Glen Filthie said...

The SJW's did the same thing up here in Canada with our national anthem. "in all thy son's command" offended the dykes, the cat ladies and the hairy chested feminists so that got scratched and replaced with some other verse. Then the frogs in Queerbec discovered there wasn't enough fwench in it and changed other verses - and who knows how it goes now.

Mad Jack said...

CW: I played the odds and did okay on it. I thought the payout was interesting:

Final and Official Results

7 Justify
6 Good Magic
5 Audible
15 Instilled Regard
10 My Boy Jack

Total Payouts

Win: Justify $7.80
Place: Good Magic $9.20
Show: Audible $5.80
$2 Exacta: 7-6, $69.60
$1 Trifecta: 7-6-5, $141.40
$1 Superfecta: 7-6-5-15, $19,618.20

Just think, if I'd put a sawbuck on the Superfecta, we'd all go on vacation for a year or two.

Bob: I tried using that expression with a friend of mine, and he asked why I was murdering the King's English. Mudder? So who's dah faddah?

Glen: I don't know the Canuk State Song, but no matter. I'm sure that given enough time, the lyrics would piss someone off. Now, those froggies in Queerbeck are starting to get on my very last nerve. Has anyone thought about taking a flame thrower to Queerbeck and offering them a new lifestyle - one where English is spoken?