Thursday, December 9, 2010

New Cat

It was a dark and stormy night...

- Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, Paul Clifford (1830)

...and the rain made the night fit for neither man nor beast. Flopsy and Mopsy were in town to celebrate Thanksgiving, and Mopsy accompanied Main Lady and Excellent Rachmaninoff on the final canine constitutional of the evening. As the group passed a dark home partially obscured by dense, unkempt foliage Main Lady was unexpectedly set upon by a small, wet and bedraggled animal that was hiding under some adjacent evergreens. The diminutive feline crossed the intervening space between evergreens and sidewalk in a trice and leaped into Main Lady's arms.

Emma
Main Lady promptly returned home with her new cat, leaving Mopsy to complete the evening stroll by herself. Three days later the little fur ball was rid of parasites and up to date on such vaccinations as the veterinarian suggested to be appropriate. The cat is estimated to be four months old, has a few battle scars on her face and belly, and is missing her right eye. Otherwise she is healthy and well-behaved. Emma and Rachmaninoff are learning to play together, which is nice.

Main Lady is thrilled to have a new cat, especially one that likes to sit in her lap (this one is a friendly lap sitter and attention hog), but she was worried that some little girl had lost her cat and was looking for Emma. Let's see now - fleas, ear mites, intestinal parasites, battle scars and one eye missing. No, I don't think so. I think this kitten was dropped off by one or both adults who decided that they'd had enough of looking after the children's kitten. Still, the required searches were performed and when nothing was found, Main Lady happily named the little cat Emma.

I wanted to call her chainsaw, but was vetoed.

5 comments:

Older School said...

Main Lady & Mad Jack have been adopted by a stray cat! Excellent.
On one of my many travels on the streets of this lovely city, I ran across a small little cat with the same colors as Emma. That little ball of fur fit in the palm of my hand. I took her home and named her Furball.

"Chainsaw?" Afraid I would have been in the veto line myself on that one! LOL

Stephanie Lorée said...

Emma has a beautiful coat! I love the tortoise coloring. We need more people to adopt strays. I've saved 4 cats myself and can't bring myself to do a 5th. 4 is enough, too many even.

Something tells me a one-eyed, battle scarred kitten will fit in quite nicely at your house.

Mad Jack said...

Thanks for your comments. Emma is very happy and is learning all about the house. Every so often she'll try to leap from one place to another and miss her target - but then she hooks on with her front claws and pulls herself up. I think Main Lady needs a new cat tree for Christmas.

Six said...

That little girl was meant to be in your lives.

Mad Jack said...

Thanks, Six. Emma thinks that I'm a cat person and has taken to maneuvering through an obstacle course of furniture so she can sit with me and watch TV.