Friday, June 23, 2023

An AR-15 at the Range

I bought a Rock River AR-15 a few weeks ago, and finally had a chance to take it out to the range to see if it performs as advertised.  Here are the results and commentary.

Caution: Anti-freedom commie loving liberals should stop reading as they value their sanity.


Five Shots at Fifty Yards

This is my first attempt at marksmanship with this rifle, a Rock River AR-15.  I tried it with a few rounds of .223 just to see if it would cycle without a problem, and it did.  The 5.56 NATO produced a louder report and a significantly heavier recoil, but as you can see the rifle put all five shots right in there.

I shot this from a sitting position with my elbows on the table, and with iron sights.  I have a ring and post sight that I'm using, and it seems to work pretty well.

I'm happy with the results at fifty yards.  With my eyesight being the way it is, 100 yards is my limit.  Anything beyond that will require a telescopic sight.


Rock River AR-15

I bought this at Blackwing (3722 Marysville Rd., Delaware, OH; Black Wing).  I got the ammo from Cheaper Than Dirt - the 5.56 was very reasonably priced, and clean.  No powder residue anywhere, which, considering what I paid for it, made for a very pleasant surprise.

My thanks to Commander Cody, the Poor But Honest Gun Trader of South Dakota, who recommended the Rock River brand.  "Jack," he said, "we've been having a lot of luck with these Rock River rifles, and it's what I recommend for you."

Now I need a reloading tool for the magazines, as my hands are not what they once were.  A bit of arthritis and old age is starting to make a real difference. 







6 comments:

Glen Filthie said...

Hrmmmmm. I’LL be the judge round here, Jack! Pardon me, everyone, will I put a bayonet on it and twirl and flip it around!

Outstanding!!! 👍👍👍

I’ve read of the green bean Marine “50 yard battle sight” and that’s just fine for them; they only use one load, they invented it, it’s manufactured to their specifications, and they invented the rifle too! Those damned kids with their steady nerves and crisp eyesight can get away with shortcuts. You need to just bump your sights over and down a bit.

You should do the same as they do too - bulk buy your ammo, pick one load and stick with it, but do your homework! Bench it and sandbag it, and test it at 50, 100, 200 and 300. I’d really recommend a good compact 1.5~5x variable on it too. I’d stay around 55 to 62 grains in your shoes.

And… lots more trigger time! 😊👍

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I have a love of guns, don't own any, never fired one but still I like them so I found this post somewhat interesting

Anonymous said...

That’ll do, what You Need and hopefully Never Need too.

Dryfire that ol’girl till your fingers bleed sir.
You won’t hurt it.

Brian said...

Congrats. Good group with just elbows on the table. I can recommend the Primary Arms 1-6. Simple duplex reticle and under $200. I look forward to more range reports.

Mad Jack said...

Thank you gentlemen. You too Glen.

Next time I go out I'm going to set up some sandbags (Big Mike has some) and see how I do at 50; adjust the sights until I'm centered and just a touch high, then try 100. I'll post the results.

With these results here, and with the reliability the rifle has, I can defend my front yard against any and all comers. Fall on damn you, and devil take the hindmost!

Brian said...

Cheapest item for loading mags, especially if the rounds are on a stripper clip. Clips are cheap or easy to find at most ranges, if you want to load the rounds. Search battlepacks ammo if you want them preloaded.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/stripperclipguidear.aspx

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-load-an-AR15M16-magazine-using-Stripper-Cl/

One last piece of advice. Your barrel is not free floating so placing the barrel or handguard could impart a slight bend affecting POA/POI. Switching back to unsupported firing positions will change your grouping.