Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Happy Birthday Shoot - 2023

I scored some free ammo courtesy of Ammo Man, so if you're in the market for ammunition, go have a look.  The prices are very competitive, and they've got a nice selection of calibers and brands.

I wouldn't exactly tell 'em Mad Jack sent me! and expect to get anything special.  For one thing, they don't know me all that well.

I've got five boxes of .45 ACP, and I brought Big Nose Kate and Betsy.  Here's the shoot in ten easy pictures.

Springfield V-16 and a Springfield 1911 MilSpec

My Ammo Supply

Betsy at 21 Feet

Betsy

Big Mike shooting Big Nose Kate

If you zoom in on this photo, you'll see the spent casing in the air and note that there isn't much recoil going on.  The V-16 has ports on the barrel which help keep the beast from jumping around.  Since it's set up to handle .45 Super (which I've never tried) the recoil from a hot .45 ACP is more like a target .38.  If I'm shooting dirty ammunition (Sellier and Bellot, for instance) I'll get a four inch flame out of the ports.


The Taget at 21 Feet

Big Mike with his Kimber 1911

The Kimber at 21 Feet

Big Nose Kate

The V-16 Ports

I bought the V-16 from the Poor But Honest Gun Trader of South Dakota back in 2001 or so.  He had three of them, and he selected the pick of the litter for me - which I appreciate.  The V-16 has to be kept clean, and after I get it all cleaned up I have to take it over to Big Mike's house and have him put it back together for me, as my hands aren't strong enough to deal with it.  Well, between the arthritis and the heavy springs, I'm at the point where I need a little help with it.

So there's most of my birthday at the range.  I'm 71, feel like I'm 83, and look like 110.  Thanks for reading.
 


5 comments:

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Hope your birthday was all you wanted it to be, you shoot better then I could but then I have never tried

CWMartin said...

Happy birthday, may it be safe and peaceful!

Glen Filthie said...

I love Kate! 😂👍

I think i accidentally tripped over a site with 45 Super brass for sale the other day…? If ya want Thee BEST 45 target load… ya get a cheap hard cast 230 grain semi wad cutter, sitting on 5.1 grains of Winchester 231. Easy, pattycake load that’s easy on the hands, mild report, shoot it all day.

Glad you guys are getting out, Jack. 😊👍

Gerry said...

Happy birthday,

Mad Jack said...

Jo-Anne: You'd probably do well at it. Visit the U.S. of A. and you can go to the range with us.

CW: Thanks!

Glen: Yeah, Kate never fails to make 'em look. Feed her some slow burning powder and you get a ball of fire at the end of the muzzle.

Big Mike reloads. I think I'll pass your idea along and see what he says.

Gerry: Thanks!