Tuesday, June 29, 2010

As Seen on Sunday Morning: June 27, 2010

Some time ago I bought a pocket size digital camera, a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4, FM8BA007171. I have yet to understand all of its features, but I'm working on it. The idea was that the camera would be small enough for me to carry with me and take pictures of the things I see as I stumble and weave about the obstacles, snares and small animal traps that I discover (one way or another) in the journey of life as I know it.

I went out to have breakfast at the Sylvania Diner and discovered this antique car in the parking lot. I've always admired the people who could keep an antique running, although I kind of wonder how much a person can really drive a car this old.


I don't know the make or model of this car, but I note that it has no trunk as we would expect in a modern automobile. I'm told that's where the term 'trunk' comes from, that it was literally a trunk attached to the rear of the car.


What ever kind of car it is I note that spare water is carried on the running board. I suspect the cooling system may not be all that reliable.


Here's the interior. Note the absence of digital controls and idiot lights (as we used to refer to them). Having grown up in the 1960s on a horse farm, I knew what oil pressure and engine temperature were before I was allowed to operate the tractor. I also learned that you didn't ride the clutch, and I learned it without burning a clutch in the process. Some of us learn by listening...


For what ever reason, this car is equipped with a trailer hitch, which might explain the spare water. I don't think you could tow much of a trailer behind this car, but I do know that towing something might cause the engine to overheat.

This is a nice set of wheels, and if anyone knows the make and model please don't hesitate to sound off.

No comments: