Saturday, October 2, 2021

Happy Birthday!

I was born on Thursday, October 2nd, 1952, at or around 5:30 AM.  I'm 69 years old, which is 25,203 days, and right now I can feel every single day of it.

I'm finally losing weight, which is nice, but I'm running out of energy.  I just don't have it.  I'm going to see if altering my diet somehow will help.

So, for my birthday, good old Migraine One called.  She's still in California (give thanks for that little detail), and she's still married, and now she's back living with her husband again.  I don't know how long the Titanic will float, but hope springs eternal.  Or something.  Anyway, she wished me a happy birthday, then dumped her train wreck of a life all over my floor.  Evidently her health problems are getting worse, leaving her bed ridden for the past three days.  She says she has fibromyalgia, which is a disease that is commonly treated with pills and wine.  Reading up on fibromyalgia syndrome, I discovered that it's a condition of the brain, which causes the brain to amplify pain from other sources.  So, for instance, when you're on your way to the can to take your two o'clock piss and step on a Lego in your bare feet, instead of just swearing and maybe turning on the light, you'd hit the deck and roll back and forth until the agony goes away.  About 1 in 25 people worldwide have fibromyalgia, but women are ten times more likely to get it than men.  I'm thinking this has something to do with sanity, but I may be wrong.

I went to the range today with Big Mike and California Dave.  I did pretty well, all things considered.  I got a chance to test fire my Ruger LCP II, and it really shoots nicely.  I was able to hit stuff with it, and turned in a respectable group.  Big Mike shot his M1, which I wrote about here.  The rifle shoots as good as it looks, and that's saying something.

Later on tonight we're headed out to a four star restaurant for dinner.  I may do a little restaurant review on the place.

My thanks to all of you for reading, and a hoist of the evening bourbon glass and a tip of the old fedora to anyone leaving a comment that says something more than Happy Birthday!

6 comments:

Rev. Paul said...

I'm glad it was a good day, all told, and that you're still kickin'. I'm not too far behind you (turned 66 in May), and you've earned a bit of a reprieve from the mundane.

Have one more bourbon, or whatever pleases you, and celebrate.

Ed Bonderenka said...

something more than Happy Birthday!
And a well dressed man wears a fedora. Don't we?

Mad Jack said...

Rev. Paul: You're young yet.

I had a second bourbon, turned down a third, and toddled off to bed. I'm tired.

Ed: Thanks. We do as occasion and opportunity present, and we doff our hat when entering a building. I wonder how many men 20 or more years younger than I actually know how to doff your hat?

CWMartin said...

Congrats for being not only the second successive blog I read whose author is one year older this weekend, but in making it to a new year! As I told the last, may it be a year of opportunity and growth (just not weight-wise).

Glen Filthie said...

Happy Birthday Jack!!!!

Is Migraine One your Ex?

Mad Jack said...

CW: Thanks. Opportunity and growth... thanks anyway. I know you mean well, but, you know, I'm hoping for boredom.

Glen: Thanks.

http://madjackshack.blogspot.com/2011/11/cast-of-characters.html

Migraine One is a retired newspaper editor, she and I kept company in the old days. Our relationship was like dry black powder and strike anywhere matches. Migraine One has fibromyalgia (she says). She's neurotic with psychotic episodes and a drinking problem. She tends to get full of pills and wine and call people 'just to talk' to them.

Case in point, when I was living in Madison, Wisconsin, she called me up on a Sunday afternoon. Here it is, as best I can remember:

Migraine One: Hi Jack! How are you?

Mad Jack: Ah, fine... who is this?

MO: It's me, Migraine One! I got your number from Main Lady - I hope I didn't cause you any trouble! Anyway, I was just thinking about you and I wondered if you wanted to sing!

MJ: Where are you, exactly?

MO: California! What should we sing?

MJ: Okay, well...

MO: I know! Let's sing Bill Bailey - Won't you come home Bill Bailey? Won't you come home?

And so on. She hung up after the song ended, telling me she'd think up new songs for use to sing. And yeah, that really did happen just that way.