Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Shai Mediterranean Cafe

Closed!

As of Monday, August 22, 2011 this place is closed.

Actually it's been closed for a while now, but I just got around to editing the review. And no, I do not put this failure down to the economy.

Shai Mediterranean Cafe

5236 Monroe Street
Toledo, OH 43623-3199
(419) 593-0083

Shai was favorably reviewed on Toledo Talk a while back, so I decided to have lunch there.  The place is right across the street from the old Chinese place, now closed, and just down the street from the cinema, also closed.

Happy Rose Buffet - Closed

Cinema 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - Show's Over

I had a gyros sandwich, which turned out to be enormous.  The size of the sandwich was mostly due to the amount of shredded iceberg lettuce, minced tomato and sauce rather than gyro meat.  I also had a side order of humus, which was okay.


Business was fairly sparse while I was there, yet two tables were not bussed when I arrived and remained that way throughout my lunch.


Where's the Bus Boy?


I find few things in a restaurant as unattractive as a dirty table.  The service was otherwise acceptable, which is no surprise since there is no table service.  


The place has nothing going for it.  There were staff available but the tables were not cleared.  My lunch was unremarkable, my sandwich being artificially inflated with iceberg lettuce.  The hummus was acceptable, but not great.  The food came in paper lined plastic baskets, which I don't care for.
I give Shai Mediterranean Cafe a 4 on a scale of zero to 10.  I doubt I'll be back.


No comments: